Should I Be Concerned About an Exhaust Leak?
An exhaust system is comprised of several different parts. Each one of these parts plays an integral role in the operation and safety of your vehicle. For example, the catalytic converter is a crucial element in converting toxic fumes into environmentally friendly emissions. Because of the importance of each component, exhaust repair in NH is a must at the first signs of damage. This article will take an in-depth look at exhaust leaks, and provide you with the information every driver should know.
As we mentioned, your vehicle exhaust system is made up of several different components, each with its own job. Below is a list of parts and their specific job within the exhaust system:
- Catalytic converter which helps to reduce air pollution by changing harmful carbon monoxide and hydrocarbons into environmentally safe vapors.
- Cylinder heads play a vital role in controlling the combustion process.
- Exhaust manifolds collect the exhaust from multiple cylinders into one pipe, which helps to minimize heat, air, and harmful gases.
- Hangers are extremely important for driving safety. If a vehicle has even one broken hanger, automatic shifting can occur during driving causing a whiplash effect.
- Exhaust joints hold your system in place. As with any element that is tossed around and hit with road debris, joints can leak or obtain cracks that allow leaks to happen.
- Mufflers keep your car running quietly by silencing the combustion process.
- Oxygen Sensors in modern cars sense the amount of oxygen within your exhaust system. This information helps the vehicle’s computer calculate and release the correct amount of fuel for maximum fuel economy.
The dangers of exhaust leaks
Beyond affecting the performance of your vehicle, many safety factors that are a concern with exhaust leaks. Below are just a few of those concerns:
- Carbon Monoxide. The fumes that the exhaust system creates contain carbon monoxide, the odorless killer.
- Interrupted Driving. From vibrating gas pedals to steering wheels and automatic shifting while driving, exhaust system leaks and damages can create a dangerous driving experience for yourself and others.
For more information on common signs that it may be time for exhaust repair in NH, check out our previous article.
If your vehicle needs exhaust repair in NH, it’s time to contact the team at RK Auto Repair. Our team of fully certified mechanics has the experience to find even the smallest cracks within your exhaust system. Don’t wait until repairs become a costly event, call us today at (603) 595-7575.